Director of Operations
POSITION SUMMARY: While managing the Operations and Logistics function of the Kids In Need Foundation (KINF), the Director of Operations will lead Growth & Productivity, drive Continuous Process Improvements, and manage Stakeholder Expectations. This position plays a key role in enabling the operational capacity of KINF to support its scale aspirations of serving 10 million students and being a $500M+ Gift-In-Kind organization annually. Incumbent position will have specific experience in designing and executing strategies that strengthen planning and control, increase production quantity and quality, expand warehouse capacity, and build flexibility in the operations function while minimizing unnecessary costs. Finally, incumbent will be responsible for the development and management of a high-performing team and the inclusive partnership and engagement of the full KINF internal teams.
REPORTS TO:VP of Finance and Operations
Reporting Relationships: Reporting to this position are the Senior Manager of Logistics and the Warehouse Supervisor.
Lead Growth & Productivity
- Oversee the weekly production, shipping and receiving activities and schedule of the Operations and Logisitics team while using strategically important measurements to evaluate both progress and successes.
- Collaborate with internal partners to determine optimal inventory levels, needs, and sources of inventory while leading the cost management trade-offs of purchasing versus accepting Gift-in-Kind (GIK) opportunities.
- Support the implementation of transportation and logistics solutions that ensure efficient, on-time, and cost-effective deliveries for KINF and its affiliate network.
- Research, design, and execute operational solutions within and outside of the KINF Roseville facility that optimize through-put and efficiency
of staff in the warehouse.
- Manage short-term and long-term warehouse capacity solutions including building out strategy and relationships for a hub-and-spoke distribution
model with key affiliate network partners.
Drive Continuous Process Improvement
- Quality Control - Oversee the accurate flow of product through the facility by leading key staff in receiving, warehousing, reporting/inventory, distribution, and quality control process standardization such as cycle counts.
- Forecasting – Build both demand and supply plan forecasting expertise of Operations and Logistics team utilizing technology, communications, and operating structures.
- Reporting – Oversee and build reporting that provides accurate description of inventory availability, inventory aging, bin capacity, and other reporting requirements as determined.
- Technology Adoption – Increase KINF’s reliance on technology and staff’s use by building training documentation and standard operating
Manage Stakeholder Expectations
- Collaborate with key cross-functional stakeholders to meet shared goals and outcomes including mission impact (programs) operational instructions, volunteer utilization, resource center fulfillment, donor fulfillment requirements, and other needs as determined.
- Develop, recommend, and implement operating policies and procedures while also ensuring the application of such policies and procedures.
- Drive a safety-first mentality and focus and always maintain to exceed OSHA standards
- Deliver/Manage safety training for warehouse and ensure new employees/volunteers are properly trained on hazards and OSHA related
compliance items are delivered
- Manage employees by establishing performance goals, allocating resources, and assessing performance
- Define case for support in building budget and managing to the Operations and Logisitics budget
- Lead the annual physical inventory count at Roseville and off-site locations and ensure the accuracy of output
- Oversee the management and maintenance of existing facility and equipment at the KINF Roseville site.
- Support planning for potential growth and move into a new warehouse facility.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities in carrying forward the mission of KINF.
- 10+ years’ experience in operations, warehousing and/or logistics management.
- BA preferred in Business, Supply Chain, or related field of study or equivalent experience working in a related field
- 5 years of management/leadership experience Logistics and Warehousing with an understanding of in a manufacturing environment
- P&L accountability/responsibility/ownership and a proactive working attitude
- Advanced Skills in the following: managing change, negotiation, adaptability, decision making, and problem-solving
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office including Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Prior experience with NetSuite and Salesforce/CRM systems strongly preferred.
- Prior experience with system integration strongly preferred
- Discerning ability to operate effectively at both strategic and tactical levels.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, self-directed, and resourceful.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Results-driven individual with goals of advancing within the organization
- Capacity to work under pressure while maintaining high-quality standards and professionalism
- Ability to multi-task, shift focus quickly, and balance multiple projects at any given time.
- Strong project management skills, and experience creating work plans and setting and meeting clear expectations and deadlines.
- Required to sit for long periods of time.
- Extensive use of computer, keyboard and mouse.
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
** Must be fully Covid-19 vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination.
How to apply:
We offer a variety of benefits including health, dental, life insurance etc. including a 5% 401k match and 28.5 days off annually.
Kids In Need Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Prospective employees will receive consideration without discrimination because of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.